Sunday, February 10, 2008

There's a Baby in the House

I've been thinking about writing about the baby in the house for a while now, but wasn't sure how to do it. I think I didn't want to deal with people's reactions to or judgments about it. But she's been living with us for 2 months now, and she's part of the journey. So here's a little story about the baby in our house.

A very good friend of mine, Nena, got pregnant unexpectedly a little over a year ago. In August she delivered a beautiful baby girl. In September MM and I decided we were ready to move into a bigger place. Around the same time, Nena was looking for a new space for her and the baby. We found a great 4 bedroom 2 bath house and wondered, "What if we lived together?" We decided to give it a go. MM works 4 nights a week until 11 PM, leaving me home and lonely at times, and Nena could use some extra support with the little one too, so it seemed like a good deal for everybody.

We moved in together Dec. 1st, all 4 of us, and it's really been a great 2 months. I think our friends were a little worried at first, "Do they know what they're getting into living with a baby? Won't you miss your privacy?" Honestly I had some reservations too, but so far living with Nena and her little one has been a wonderful gift. I don't even think it's changed the intensity of my desire for motherhood (for better or worse). I want to be a mom and I'm not, she can't change that. What she has done is given me a baby to love and play "auntie" to for now as well as some extra live-in emotional support when things look dark. It's also helped reinforce our capacity to love children that aren't biologically related to us, and makes adoption look like more of an option if this doesn't work out.

2 comments:

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

I'm glad you have a little one to love and be an auntie to. I am sure she loves you as much as you love her. So glad it is working out!

Nicole said...

Hi, a new blogger here also on a fertility journey. I wanted to say hi. I just found your blog today so I will check in and see how you are doing. I am 35 TTC for 2 years with husband. Unexplained infertility so far and scheduled for lap to check for endometriosis and some other procedure where something gets stuck up inside (they all have such stupidly long names) to check out / remove a polyp and a potentially odd shaped uterus. Here's hoping we all keep our sense of humour ;-) All the best.