Monday, February 4, 2008

27 yo G 0 - unexplained infertility

That's me. 27 year old gravida 0 with unexplained infertility. I was a little taken aback when I saw it typed out on the ultrasound screen yesterday, but that's the pertinent info. My entire OB/GYN history in one line. I've never been pregnant and we're not exactly sure why.

I guess the visit was worthwhile yesterday. I came home with a little more information and another transvaginal ultrasound under my belt. I also got to see my doctor and touch bases about the plan if this doesn't work. This is only the second time I've seen her. The first time I came alone and the second I brought a girlfriend. I'm sure she's used to having various support people come, but I always feel like I need to explain my husband's absence, "He really is supportive and wants this baby, he just works crazy hours." Instead I didn't say anything and just let her do her thing.

As far as the plan, we agreed to start one more clomid/IUI cycle if this one is unsuccessful, and schedule a visit with her about the IVF options during that cycle. That will bring the grand total of medicated IUIs to 5, plus one cycle of meds with timed intercourse. The news about this cycle is that it's still early (I should have started counting from day one of heavy, bright red flow in case you were wondering), so I just had 4 small (12mm) follicles--three on the left (the side that's iffy) and one on the right. Not to worry though, I'm sure two or three will fizzle before it's ovulation time, they always do with me. If I haven't had a positive surge by Friday I'll call for a trigger. Otherwise I should surge Wed or Th and go in for the IUI the following day.

The last week and a half were pretty rough, but I feel like things are settling out a little now. I don't know whether to blame it on the clomid, the lack of acupuncture, too many overnight shifts for MM, stress at work, or the fact that Mercury was in retrograde. Whatever the cause, it's good to feel stable for now. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm not crying now, and that's a good thing.

9 comments:

Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

Mercury in retrograde? C'est qoui? Please explain to the masses!

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you have a plan in place.

btw, I know that little line on the u/s screen -- my history and diagnosis is so long that it won't fit there! but to be honest, I've always wondered what would be harder, dealing with a long laundry list of problems, or not knowing what the problem may be.

hopefully the IUIs will work and you won't need to go any further. good luck! ~luna

Frenchie said...

Achk. Mercury. You devil.

Hoping for you that this next IUI is the one that works.

Suzanne said...

jess...i can't wait for the day that you don't have to look at any more calendars...no more counting...no more meds...no more pregnancy tests/ sonograms/ temperature taking/ ovulation kits/ doctors appt.s/ procedures/ etc.

sending you LOADS of positive thoughts and healing to your soul. i'm so glad that you are feeling "better"..if even for a short period of time. love to you and MM

Mrs. Deering said...

Oh, I love the title of your blog! I work in a library and when I read it, I burst out laughing....

Oh well!

Inconceivable.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!