Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Three down...? to go

There's really no reason to drag it out any longer. I'm not pregnant. This cycle "failed". I thought I wouldn't take it so hard this time. I tried not to get my expectations up, but I'm just not that strong. I wish I could face this deep disappointment with grace and strength, but I can't do much more than just go on. Even that is hard sometimes.

I am tired--deeply tired. I guess most people have been there at some point. The kind of tired that comes from waiting and hoping again and again, from enduring disappointment and loss. The cycle of hope and despair is taking its toll. It's just as painful as it was the first time. It's not getting easier. Every month I feel my body failing me in a way that's hard to explain. It's a disappointment to me, my husband, our family, and everyone who cares about us and there's no end in sight.

I have read the blogs of women who have been on this path much longer than I have, and while it's good to know that life goes on after the third or fourth IVF cycle, it's also scary to think I may be there someday. I'm also afraid of the toll this may take on relationships. At what point do friends and family start to loose hope and instead see us as sad and angry? Will I loose hope? How much disappointment and failure can I take? Will it ever cease to feel like this?

1/24: I wrote this post last night when everything was a little more raw. I cried a lot. MM was great (and disappointed of course). I was able to see my therapist this morning where I cried a lot more. Right now I'm feeling much better and am preparing to face another cycle.

11 comments:

Josh and Marcie said...

it is ok to have down moments. no matter how much you try to prepare to not be disappointed it hurts. yes, you will end up getting through it, but no it won't ever change the pain. i am praying for you and remember it is ok to cry. Hang in there girl!

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Things do start to look bleak, don't they?

I hope you move through the repetitive grief smoothly.

Frenchie said...

I am so sorry this one didn't work. I totally understand all the feelings you've expressed. It is ok to cry and feel all the feelings.

I keep trying to remind myself that one way or another, I will be past all of this one day. I'll either get pregnant or one day I will just come to a place where I don't want to try anymore and I will move on for good--heart, body and soul. I know it's possible, because other women have done it. But in the meantime, it is so, so hard. I know. Hang in there.

Daisha said...

My heart hurts for you.

I've been checking your blog daily in hopes of celebrating with you.

I am praying for you and MM.
-Daisha

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this cycle didn't work. I wish I could make it easier for you.

(((hugs)))

Drew Custer said...

Sending love and hugs your way.
Jamie

Erik said...

I love you Jessicca. Thank you for sharing your heart. I'm so sorry.

-Sonya

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry it didn't work this time. Your words are raw and real. Each failed cycle is like grieving a type of loss and the dashed hopes definitely take their toll. . I'm sorry you're feeling this way, I'll bet many of us have been there. This whole business is exhausting. be gentle with yourself. ~luna

Gioietta said...

Jessicca,
I am so sorry I didn't come here sooner. I was thinking the end of the wait was this weekend.
I really wish I could take this pain away. Nowhere in our young dreamy life do we imagine to face something like IF, (we actually grow up thinking it happens ALL the time if you are not careful...it is such a stark contrast to the new reality that it isn't that easy and no, it doesn't happen for everyone).

I hope, pray you know that you, you Jessicca, broke and hurt as you feel, are still just as valuable and such a wonderful person even if your anger and tears. I will keep on hoping, and praying to rejoice in the happy news of a child, but I will always know you are beautiful just for who you are, for the wonderful couple you and MM are. And wherever life brings you I will know you will make others feel just as special as we have felt!

Suzanne said...

i was super bummed/pissed/sad/etc. when i checked your blog today. i HATE that you are going through this. my heart aches for you, jess. i love you so much.

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

I must second Suz's thoughts- my heart aches for you Jess- I also have to tell you- I'm going to keep hoping with you no matter where this journey leads. Love you-Mo