Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Surge


That's what I'm waiting for these days-- a surge of LH (luteinizing hormone). That surge triggers ovulation and lets us know it's time for our IUI.

How does one detect a surge? Pee on a stick of course. My new protocol dictates that said pee should be tested between 12 and 3:30 PM, which means I brought my clear blue easy to work and will be discretely testing on my lunch break. Isn't that special. I opted for the basic model, so I don't get the smiley face, just two blue lines. Why do they make the LH predictor kits so much like pregnancy tests? I keep thinking I'm going to pee on the wrong stick one of these days, though I think I went through my stash of pregnancy tests.

This half of the cycle is the easy (well easier) part. The hopeful time when anything is possible. I'm meditating on strong and healthy eggs and looking for the second blue line that means I'm going to ovulate. I so hope it works this time. It seems too good to be true. What if this was really the last month of me not being pregnant? I can hardly imagine. This process, this desire, has become so much a part of my life. What if I got what I wanted? I hope, I hope, I hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the basic lines are sometimes better since they want you to detect the slightest surge. when I got negatives with smileys, I would crack them open and look if the line underneath was getting any darker. the day before the smiley it would actually get darker (surge starting). and it's better to trigger/iui earlier than later.

I still don't know why that clinic doesn't do bloodwork for iuis, because it's way more accurate (but more $).

good luck. ~luna

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

I am hope, hope, hopeing with you! Are you going with a new doctor?