Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One or Two

Apparently my doctor doesn't believe in fertilization reports. It just produces "anxiety" and/or "false hope" since it's common for embryos to arrest between days two and three. So I'm left to wait until Thursday with no other info about my little embryos.

All I can think about is how many we'll transfer. One or two. I know my doctor will give me a recommendation, but she's understandably biased since her reputation depends on her success rates and twins would be a much bigger deal for me than they would be to her. I know we'll have to make the decision in a short and emotionally charged time, so I'm trying to get all the info I can. I really want this to work, but I also want a normal singleton pregnancy. I know we would make adjustments and handle it if we had twins, but the risks of carrying them and the increased cost (not to mention extra work) really scares me.

I'm a little more open to the idea of transferring two after my blind date of sorts. A friend of a friend is pregnant with twins from her third IVF. It was nice to talk to someone in person who has been through this. I had never met her or even seen a picture. Luckily she was the only pregnant woman in the cafe. We had a great chat. She said after the pain and expense of 3 IVFs she's glad she's completing her family all at once. I'm still not convinced, but we could end up with twins even if we transfer one. Maybe I need to stop worrying about it so much.

Otherwise, her main pieces of advice were to pamper myself during the 2ww, not to spend too much time alone, and to plan a getaway the weekend after we find out. Whether we're ecstatic or devastated it will be nice to have something to look forward to.

I'm requesting any and all advice r/t the one or two question, so feel free to leave a comment.

I can't believe the transfer is tomorrow!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

oh my gosh! yaaaay! i am so excited for you guys! well...i'm probably a bad person to ask for advice on multiples...seeing as how i have quadruplets! but i DO know this: ANYTHING is possible and you WILL SURVIVE no matter what you choose! You do what is best for YOU guys. If it were me, I would want 2...b/c if we end up with twins, our fam is complete. I wouldn't want to risk having to go through any more IVF or additional procedures. (not to mention the cost aspect) I'd rather be spending money on my children, than TRYING to have children. Basically speaking from a nurse's standpoint, the odds of producing at least one child, are better with implanting two. BUT JESS, this comes down to what YOU BOTH feel is right in YOUR hearts for your fam! don't be pressured by anyone. (and don't think that raising twins would be like what you went through at my house! haha..MUCH easier!) LOVE YOU! praying praying praying!!!!

JJ said...

Just stay away from Dr. Google as much as possible--this made me so anxious about things that :may or may not: be happening.
Thinking of you!

Drew Custer said...

I say go for two. I don't think you would ever regret it. Of course I haven't raised twins but we do have a set in my family and they have been such a joy to all of us especially their mother. But like others have said it is up to you and what you feel in your heart. This is exciting!
Jamie