Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Business of Being Born


I realize this may seem premature to some. Honestly though, what woman hasn't thought about labor and delivery? Fertile or not.

If you haven't heard of it, The Business of Being Born is a documentary about birth in the US. I highly recommend it. I watched it with a girlfriend who delivered last August. She had a pretty standard hospital birth, (Pitocin, Epidural, etc.) even though that's not really what she wanted. The film really resonated with her.

I know I'm going all high intervention to conceive, but I still want a natural, low intervention birth. All interventions have their place, and I'm open to using the technology we have if and when it really does help, I just don't want to use it blindly or when it's not really needed.

Anyway, check out the movie, let me know what you think. It's available for "instant viewing" on Netflix.

In other news, my estradiol was 85 today. I'm not sure what that really means, but my doctor didn't change my meds, so I guess that's within the expected range. The next blood test/ultrasound is Thursday.

2 comments:

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Excited about you being a mom soon! I totally wish mid-wives were legal in MO, and that there were birthing centers here. Not too excited about another hospital stay- if not necessary. Our doula was our saving grace- anyway hope you are able to have a low intervention birth. : ) Think I'll check out the movie.

Swim said...

I'm going to check out the movie this weekend on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation.