Sunday, November 18, 2007

Shopping


Many mundane and everyday things take on new significance when you're living in the limbo land that is "trying" to get pregnant. For example, shopping.

My sister-in-law is getting married in December. I've been thinking about buying a new dress for months now. Every time I went into a store to look I couldn't stop thinking (hoping), "...maybe I'll be pregnant by then...I don't want to buy a dress I won't be able to fit into." Then I would look at things with empire waists that I might be able to pull off either way (like the one pictured). The thing about this strategy is that you run the risk of looking pregnant when you aren't. I don't want people jumping the gun on me. Besides, if I'm not pregnant I need to embrace my non-pregnant body. I finally decided to go for it and bought a dress this weekend (that doesn't make me look pregnant). By this time even if I were to conceive between now and December 22 I wouldn't be showing. So I figure I'm safe.

7 comments:

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Pretty dress! : ) Mo

Josh and Marcie said...

I remember going through those same emotions. It isn't it amazing how much you have to think about it or how much you do think about it even when you don't have to. I think about you often and am always checking up on you.

Drew Custer said...

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy! I am fighting the battle of the bulge still and Hannah is about to be one. Lots of people get really skinny after their baby is born and I am sure you will be one of those terrible people:) but I don't think your body is every the same after pregnancy. So live it up now sister!
Jamie

*K* said...

Did you see this article in Slate?
http://www.slate.com/?id=2178377

Anonymous said...

hello jess,
i found the site, i am glad i am in your life.

*K* said...

The Slate article is called 'Skipping Baby Steps: The case for going straight to IVF.' by Sarah Richards.

Unknown said...

Don't buy any empire waist dresses...you can have all of mine!