Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Culture and conception

I saw a young father and his daughter in clinic the other day. We were finishing up the visit when he asked if I had children. I shook my head and told him no, not yet. In response he said something that roughly translates to, "that's weird".

To this young Mexican immigrant the idea that a married woman of my age would not have children was just that--weird. He didn't mean any offense, he just thought it was strange. On the other hand, I know people in their 30's who are single, or married but not ready for kids, who would be find it equally strange that we're even thinking of having kids at such a young age.

We all make decisions. Which is better? I guess it depends on where you're coming from. At every stage of life and in seemingly every decision, we are influenced by our culture, why should conception be any different.

2 comments:

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jess- I remember this question a lot in Africa. We were only 21 and 22 at the time, but we were constantly asked: Why don't you have children? I think it really is a matter of cultural perspective. We had been married 2 years and should have 1 if not 2 children by then. I am thankful that you have decided to start this process now instead of waiting until your 30's. You are going to be great parents!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Gioietta said...

That's the same here. In Italy it would be weird to have been married so long at such a young age. I was Weirdo of the year for sure. The hard part is to not compare. I think it is harder for women in general. I constantly size myself up with others...why I don't know. Not even my husband does this. It shouldn't matter what others think yet I let it bother me too much. But I should remember that I don't want others to compare themselves to me at all, neither good or bad.