Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's really happening...

We finally had our pre-IVF visit last week to go over the treatment calendar, medications, etc. I had hoped we wouldn't get to this point, but my ovaries aren't getting any younger, and I'm still not pregnant, so we're moving forward. I do have an appointment for a second opinion at UCSF in early December, but I don't really expect they'll tell me anything different. It will just be nice to have another set of experts review my history and give recommendations.

The IVF consult was overwhelming to say the least. I'll have to be on 9 different medications throughout the cycle including an injection in the morning and two in the evening. I'll have 6-8 appointments for various ultrasounds and blood tests before and after the egg retrieval and embryo transfer.

We left the office feeling a mix of excitement and fear. Excited that we might be pregnant in the next 4-6 months, afraid we won't be. What else can you do though. I guess those are pretty normal feelings.

We decided to wait to start any of the meds until after the holidays. I don't want to be all pumped up on hormones, worried about keeping my follistim cold and staying on schedule while we're visiting family. I can't help but hope that next year we'll be taking a baby to meet the extended family too, but I'm trying to take it a day (at least a month) at a time.

5 comments:

Drew Custer said...

How exciting!!! I know that it will probably be hard to do the meds, but you will have the hope of a little one that will get you through. I will be praying for you guys.
Jamie

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jessicca- This is so exciting! Can't wait to hear the results.

Erik said...

Very exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about it...
Love you,
Sonya

Josh and Marcie said...

I will be thinking about you. I know there are so many mixed emotions. Just keep the faith girl! The most important thing in the end is you have a family. This is one thing that I have learned!

JJ said...

Great news that you are on the way!