Monday, November 26, 2007

Exposed


If you didn't hear Fresh Air today, please listen to the podcast (available at www.npr.org by selecting programs tab, then Fresh Air...sorry, I'm incapable of making links work).

Mark Schapiro spoke with Terry Gross about his new book, Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's at Stake for American Power. I could give you my interpretation of the interview, but I think NPR has a pretty good synopsis:
Investigative reporter Mark Schapiro explains in a new book that toxic chemicals exist in many of the products we handle every day — agents that can cause cancer, genetic damage and birth defects, lacing everything from our gadgets to our toys to our beauty products.

And unlike the European Union, the U.S. doesn't require businesses to minimize them — or even to list them, so consumers can evaluate the risks. Schapiro argues that that policy isn't just bad for public health: In an increasingly green economy, he says, American businesses stand to get shut out of a huge market.


One of the main reasons the EU is so inclined to look ahead to long-term health consequences of chemicals used to manufacture these products is that European governments pay for health care (it's not just because they're so progressive and environmentally conscious). They actually have an incentive to keep people healthy, what a concept! When you get cancer in the US it's on your dime. Too often our government is more concerned about what's good for business than what's good for people (I know, it's been said a million times, but it's too true).

The crazy about this "bad for business" argument, is that when the EU implemented stricter regulations on chemicals and toxins they did not experience the big hit to business that US regulators and businesses are so concerned about. There wasn't any measurable effect to the market.

Call me crazy, but I strongly believe that these toxins, so pervasive in our modern life, are one of the factors contributing to the rise in endocrine and hormone related problems, including infertility.

Let's stop being afraid to demand more from our elected officials and regulatory bodies. I'm tired of seeing the consequences of inaction.

2 comments:

Erik said...

Hey, I totally heard this the other day...it was so interesting. Our culture just consumes without questioning why, where it comes from, or what's in it! I agree with you about these factors affecting things like fertility.

Gioietta said...

Right on sister! I TOTALLY agree with what you said and I have already read about these unregulated products. US is way too much about making money, and yes, because health care is 'our' prerogative, the government doesn't care about healthy in that area. There are so many 'estrogen' toxins in stuff and environment today and I believe you are right, it affects our fertility, our cycles and hormones. I have been using Italian beauty products my mother sends me (bottegaverde.it) for a long time now. And I just don't wear makeup too much, but I really should go to using those products that don't contain pathogens when I do, etc. There is a website for campaigning for safer products (safecosmetics.org) and I can't find it but there is some website that has a list of good (and bad) products.