Saturday, September 1, 2007

Negative

Negative is a word that we throw around a lot in health care. Sometimes negative is good, i.e. "Your HIV test was negative". But for a woman trying to get pregnant, negative is not what you want to hear when your talking about the results of a quantitative Hcg (blood pregnancy test). That's what I got this week.

It wasn't enough that the home pregnancy test was negative (yes, I caved and took 2 last week). Since it had been 2 weeks since my IUI and I still hadn't started my period I had to do the blood test, then wait anxiously for the results. I totally expected it to be negative, but when I actually got the call I kind of lost it. Lucky for me I had a friend who took me to the beach.

It was late afternoon on a beautiful sunny day so we walked and talked for several miles down the beach, only seeing 5-6 people the whole time. It was just what I needed. So much about the ocean is therapeutic for me, the smell, the sound, the vastness and connectivity of it. It helped make a no good, very bad day into one with a more nuanced meaning; loss and sadness with beauty and friendship.

4 comments:

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jess- I am reading this with tears in my eyes. I so want you to be a mom and experience all that comes with it- and our little girls have to go to LPBC together- so they can start a life time of friendship. I wish I could be there to see you right now. Love Mo

Erik said...

Jessicca,
I wish I was there to walk and talk with you on the beach. I'm glad you have such good friends surrounding you right now. I love you...
-Looch

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jess- I was just laying in bed thinking how unfair all of this is-I am angry and sad. I remember reading in one of your earlier posts about women that come into the clinic and are pregnant for the 6, 7th time- or as I often see in the ED, high on crack- or I read in one women's chart 7 AB's I just don't understand it. I am so hopeful your journey is not negative in the end. Love Mo

Amanda said...

I am so sorry for your negative hCG. :-( I'm glad that you had such a wonderful friend to take you to such a theraputic place! Good friends are truly hard to find. :-)