Monday, September 3, 2007

Weigh In

Today I bought a scale. I haven't had one since I moved out of my parents house when I was 18. So why did I suddenly feel the need? Well, one of the first things my Repro Endo told me at our initial consult was that I should gain a few pounds (incidentally my mom had given me the same advice a few months earlier). My weight fluctuates between 115-120 and has for the past 15 years or so I guess. At 5'5" that makes my BMI 20 (less when I'm below 120 lbs.). Anything 19 or less for BMI is considered underweight. There is apparently a delicate balance in terms of weight and fertility. Too little and you're less likely to get pregnant, but too much hurts your chances too. Go figure. As if there wasn't enough turmoil surrounding weight and body image.

So back to the scale. I decided if I'm going to get serious about gaining this weight (my goal is 128-132) I needed some way to check my progress. It's hard for me to try and eat more without knowing if it's doing any good. I've never been someone who eats for the sake of eating. I eat when I'm hungry, and if I'm busy sometimes I don't eat then. I've always been good at feeding other people (literally and figuratively), but denying myself. A big part of my self-care plan is listening to my body and feeding it. So far I've switched from skim milk to soy milk (I don't like the taste of 2% or whole), am trying to snack more (nuts are my friends), and end most nights with a bowl of ice cream (if you missed the ice cream post you should check it out).

Today I weigh 120.6 lbs, so I still have 8-12 lbs to go. I'm not opposed to gaining weight, but I've been essentially the same size for the past 15 years. I'm generally happy with my body and feel like I am a healthy weight. It's scary to think about intentionally gaining. I'm trying to remind myself it's not about the weight, I'm getting my body ready for a pregnancy. If you have some good calorically dense, high fat (and healthy) snack ideas I'm looking for suggestions.

5 comments:

Daisha said...

Avacadoes are good. Put cheese on everything... um, I'm having a hard time switching gears from dieting to lose weight and dieting to gain weight. You have a rare and very enviable problem concerning weight.

Good luck.
Daisha

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Ice cream- Yummy- I love avacadoes too! Hannah likes Avacadoes and bannanas mixed together- it was one of her first foods transitioning out of baby food to "real food" I also love nuts- do you have Trader Joes near by- they make a great trail mix with- nuts, chocolate, butterscotch and white chocolate mmmmm- I need to get some of that- actually I need to loose a few pounds- my jeans are getting tight again. : )

*K* said...

the doctor or a nutritionist should be able to tell you more specifically at what rate you need to increase you caloric intake per day. (i.e. by 300 calories, 400 etc...) this might give you a better sense of being in control of the weight gain and make you feel like you were doing it more healthily than just having to weigh in everyday. just remember what your end goal is!!

one of my friends recently had to gain weight to get pregnant. it was hard for her as she is a vegetarian (almost vegan) who had a limited diet to begin with-- but, it worked out and after giving birth a couple of weeks ago, the pounds are starting to come right off!

Drew Custer said...

I just caught up on your last couple of posts. I am sorry that your test was negative. I am looking forward to see what the next year will bring for you. Don't lose heart even though it sometimes seems like a long road. It will all be worth it in the end. As for the weight gain, I have to admit that sounds like a dream. I probably wouldn't go about it in the healthiest of ways so I can't offer any advice. I think the ice cream is a step in the right direction:)
Jamie

Gioietta said...

Well, I have to admit I had the opposite problem and our RE hinted that I lose some weight! I am still working on it. I remember that summer I took on running! OMG!! It was a huge challenge, taking that it was SUMMER in MEMPHIS!! But I ran two 5ks. I also did some form of tai chi, can't remember now, prescribed by the acupuncturist. I wish you all the luck! I guess you already know to eat all the healthy carbs :)
Love, Miriam