Thursday, September 27, 2007

BBT


Although the desire for pregnancy has consumed much of my energy for the past year, one thing I've managed to avoid is charting my basal body temperature (BBT). None of my doctors are particularly interested in it, and I wasn't about to sign myself for anything else to do that would cause me to focus on my fertility or lack thereof. But it looks like that's about to change.

Last week I went for my first appointment with my new acupuncturist--she wants to see my charts. She was really nice about it, tried to sell me on the idea, "it's about checking in with yourself, knowing your body better," but I'm still not excited. I'm not sure exactly why I'm so resistant to the idea. Maybe hidden in my BBT charts we will find some key to my troubles, or maybe I'll just spend my first waking moments with a thermometer stuck in my mouth and a chart on my bedside table, reminding me that I'm trying to get pregnant.

5 comments:

Gioietta said...

I remember bringing my charts to the acupuncturist (which when I started showed me just that I painfully did not ovulate till very late...there was no space for me on the charts!). She told me to put those away and stop charting! I do agree that it is one more thing to do to keep the focus and pressure there. I hope that that won't be the case, or that it will take just a couple of months of charting for to either find something useful or just know how your body works in general. (((HUGS)))

Daisha said...

I did the BBT thing instead of birth control (hence me getting pregnant on the honeymoon) :(. Apparently I didn't pay enough attention to the info.

Also, my base temp is REALLY low... there weren't even spots for my temp on the charts.

But the minute or so that I had the thermometer in my mouth, was more like hitting snooze.

I think it only gets really obsessive when you start measuring and reporting on your cervical mucus. ICK!

I wouldn't worry about getting obsessed with BBT charting... you can sleep through the longest part of it. :)

-Daisha

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Good luck with the BBT- I hope it will help with your journey.

*K* said...

j-
I did this for a while. it really wasn't bad. it was actually pretty informative for me. it was how i found out about my short luteal phase. my gyno told me about this site http://www.fertilityfriend.com/
where you can chart your temp etc... online. this was much more handy than having a stack of paper charts by my bed. i would also recommend a thermometer that holds your temperature so that you can take your temp, go back to sleep, and look to see what the temp was later when you are ready to record it. have you read the book 'taking charge of your fertility' by toni weschler, mph? it was also good/informative and explains the whole charting thing well.

Josh and Marcie said...

Jess- This was great on fertility friend. I tracked this for some time too, mine was so inconsistent that it didn't help me. The thing that really helped me was a digital ovulation kits. My fluctuations with the BMT were not strong enough.