Saturday, September 22, 2007

Confessions


I think it's time to get this out there. For almost a year now, I have been carrying around a pregnancy calculator wheel in my purse.

Now, before you think I'm totally crazy, I don't look at it every day (anymore). I guess it's an occupational hazard, having easy access to such things. Maybe it's time to let go of the pregnancy wheel, but it just feels good to know that I can quickly and easily check my estimated due date based on my LMP or date of ovulation at any time, if for some reason I needed to.

I guess this speaks to the issue of planning. I'm a bit of a planner. This issue (wanting to be pregnant, knowing I could be at any time, yet not knowing when it will happen, understanding that it may never happen), is particularly tricky for planning purposes. I wouldn't agree to plan our last vacation until it was no more than 6 months away, just in case I got pregnant in the meantime, I wouldn't be more than 6 months along and could still travel relatively comfortably. I guess at some point I'm going to have to let this go. It might be time to get rid of the wheel.

3 comments:

Drew Custer said...

I think it is probably more normal than you think. Maybe you don't have to let go of the wheel forever. Just set it aside for a few months and be free from it for just a little while. You might need it again come Jan.:)

Jamie

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Ahhh the wheel- yes we have those at work too- and on the computer to easily check the EDC for our prego pt's. I too have done the check- the what if- It just looms there looking at you in the drawer- or purse in your case. Maybe you should hide it from yourself somewhere- like under your mattress or in the back of your closet and then someday when you are doing some deep cleaning (maybe even nesting) you will find it again. Miss you can't wait til OCT

Gioietta said...

I did that too, a lot. Although I didn't have a pg calculator like you (didn't have access I guess!), but almost everything we would plan had to be scrutinized under the "what if we do get pg finally?" Looking back I know for a time I was a little bit obsessed but it is so hard, knowing you could but you really never know....(((HUGS)))