Friday, October 17, 2008

Not Reassured

By yesterday afternoon/evening my contractions had really slowed down and I was just sure that my fetal fibronectin test would come back negative today (negative being good this time). I was wrong.

MM and I went in this morning for the test. My cervix hadn't changed, so I went back home to wait. I sent MM off to work and a couple of hours later my midwife called. I could tell from the tone of her voice that the results weren't what we had all hoped for. She said I should come in for my betamethasone injection (to mature baby's lungs in case he comes early) and to be monitored. She asked if MM was home, when I told her he wasn't, she offered to come to the house and pick me up. I think she could tell I was kind of loosing it. I called MM, told him the story, packed a few things to keep me distracted in the hospital and waited for my fairy godmother of a midwife to come and get me.

In case you're feeling jilted because your midwife/doctor never came to pick you up from home, I should let you know that I'm getting my prenatal care from the clinic where I work. I'm an NP on the Family Medicine side, but have a great relationship with the OBs and midwives. Sometimes it's nice to be a VIP.


Once we arrived at the hospital, I got hooked up to the monitor and proceeded to start contracting much more frequently than I had been at home--like 5 X in 10 minutes. That was enough to get everyone a little unnerved, so I got a shot of terbutaline to settle things down on top of my regular nifedipine dose. That seemed to do the trick, but they still had me stay for several hours to keep an eye on everything.

Baby Boy didn't seem to mind. He's still movin' and goovin' in there, and his heart rate stayed stable during the contractions, although we both got a little tachycardic after the terbutaline--that stuff is strong.

The OB came to check my cervix again before she let me go. The report is closed, long, and soft. All good except for the soft part, but I'll take long and closed any time.

I'm back home now on modified bed rest. I won't be going in to work for at least the next 2 weeks, which I really wasn't ready for, but it is what it is. I'll do whatever I need to to keep my baby inside for as long as possible. We'll go in tomorrow for the second shot of betamethasone. The OB said the weekend will be critical. We should know more what direction things are headed by Monday.

So that's the story. I wish it was a different one, but it's mine, and it's still not so bad. My baby is healthy and growing inside me, my cervix is closed and long, and my "bag of water" is intact. All things to be happy about.

Thanks so much for sharing your well-wishes and happy-ending stories. It really does help. Now, any fabulous ideas for passing the time while on bedrest?

8 comments:

Fiddle1 said...

Damn! I'm sorry about the FFT. I'm hoping and praying this weekend sees things slowing down, as your doc says. It sucks that you are down to the one day at a time scenario. But you do have a lot of things on your side, as you say. How about renting a ton of DVD television series? A lot of bang for your buck as there are usually three or 4 episodes per disk. I am very pleased to hear you get the VIP treatment..it has to be reassuring during this time of stress on you. I'm sorry.

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jess- Praying for you, MM and Falcon. You are very strong! Suz should give you some bed rest tips. :) Lots of knitting- and TV can be entertaining at times- try mindless stuff like "Paris Hilton's my new BFF" it's entertaining. :) TY for the flu shot info- haven't read it yet but I will. Love Mo

Drew Custer said...

I say rent lots of movies and stress eat:) Eat anything you want and do anything that makes you happy and allows you to rest. I am praying that the results on Monday will be good.

Anonymous said...

Join Facebook! You can spend hours just creating your profile and finding friends to add. Facebook can fill an amazing amount of free time :) Love to the three of you. Hil

Gioietta said...

we are praying for you, mm and baby b too! Also so thankful for all the 'good' things, the cervix closed and waters intact and sweet baby growing and moving inside you! Waiting to hear more news from this weekend. Let us know if there is anything we can do. prayers for peace, love, miriam

admin said...

I had a positive FFN test over three weeks ago (preterm labor, short cervix, the works). FFN's are a better predictor when you get a negative - false positives are common, so don't get ourself too upset.

Good luck with bedrest. I have been down for over 2 months now. Won't tell you it is easy - but you'll get through it.

Meredith

N7 said...

Praying for you :) I got my first of many positive FFN's at barely 28 weeks on 12/26/07- and had my son on 2/19/08 at 35 weeks. Easier said then done, but don't let it flip you out. Youare in such a good place right now and your baby is in such a good place right now- of ocurse, every day inside is better but you are doing great! Fingers crossed for you! :)

Denise said...

Hi there. Found you on L&F. I agree with the eating comment. And long baths if they'll let you. I'm right there along with you (another bedrest babe), although I'm confined to the hospital. I hope things calm down for you soon.