Thursday, October 9, 2008

Birth Stories


This is my 100th post. Apparently this is some kind of blogging milestone. When I started the blog I had no idea how long it would go on (I hoped the IF part would be short and sweet). Fourteen months and 100 posts later I'm writing about my upcoming labor and delivery. Wow.

MM and I went to our first childbirth class this week. We had a hard time coordinating our schedules, but finally found an evening that would work for both of us. The class was at a local birthing center, but is open to anyone regardless of where they plan to deliver. As for us, we have decided to plan for a home birth. The hospital is only 5-10 minutes away if we need to make a move at some point. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and evaluating my options. I am not against hospital births, but feel like I'll be most comfortable laboring on my own time, however I need to, in an environment where I'm comfortable, and where I know and trust the people around me.

On my recent visit with family I collected birth stories from my grandmothers about their experiences and those of their mothers. It feels good to have great cloud of women who have birthed before me in dining rooms and bedrooms without the benefit of skilled practitioners and technology that is now available to me even at home.

It was striking as I heard their stories to hear the changes that happened over time. As birth moved from home to hospital, there were more problems, more interventions, more "failures". I am not naive about the risks of unattended birth or the complications that often occurred at many of these early home births, but none of the stories I heard ended in death or disability for mother or baby. I understand that interventions are sometimes necessary, but often they are unnecessary and risky.

I know that my labor may not turn out as I hope, that I may end up in the hospital or with a Cesarean, but right now I'm enjoying planning my birth at home. If there are any veteran home-birthers with suggestions/advice I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

Fiddle1 said...

Congratulations on your decision! I wish I had that option as well. I have no home birth stories for you, but I just wanted to tell you I think it is great.