Monday, August 4, 2008

Birth is like a marathon?


We spent last weekend in the city for the SF Marathon. MM had been training for months, and was excited to finally run the race. The last marathon he ran, we ran together (not exactly together, but we both ran it) almost 8 years ago. I didn't even think about running this one, but that didn't stop me from getting almost teary listening to a woman talk about the pace teams at the expo the day before--that's not normal, it's hormones. I ran one marathon yes, but I am by no means a runner, and don't really aspire to be. Hormones are the only semi-rational explanation.

After the grueling 26.2 mile course around the very hilly city of San Francisco, MM was in a considerable amount of pain. He took the opportunity to tell me that maybe this would help him empathize with my pain in childbirth. While I'm not sure how similar the experiences are, I appreciate the thought.

I've been thinking and reading more about the birth process in the past few weeks. Birthing from Within is a book that was recommended by one of my preceptors in school who was a midwife. I've always remembered it and have given it and recommended it to pregnant friends before me, always looking forward to the day when it would be relevant to me. I bought my own copy about a week ago and have already almost finished it. Her approach is natural and intuitive. MM and I have both found it to be valuable.

As a result, I've also become very interested in the birth stories of other women in my life. If anyone feels like sharing her birth story either here in the comments or by e-mail (or by connecting me to your blog about it) that would be great. I'm not as interested in the play by play as the challenges and emotions of the whole thing. What you remember most, what you loved, what you might change.

So, that's the update at 18 weeks. Still haven't felt any movement, and can't wait to see the little one on ultrasound this Thursday! Looks like the votes are pretty evenly split boy/girl.

4 comments:

Jena said...

Well, I've done both birth and a marathon. One thing that is similar is that if you focus on the pain, it makes it worse. When I was able to breathe, but stay kind of detached from the pain, it was helpful. That is actually a HUGE similarity. Other than that, if you take the pain from your legs, magnify it about 20 times and place it in your groin, then that is kind of like labor.

Fiddle1 said...

I haven't felt any movement either, and our big scan is next Monday. I'm looking forward to your news on Thursday!

Amanda Moore said...

Yay for Marcus! I'm not sure how the birthing will match up, but I'm sure you will come in 1st! I can't wait to hear how baby Sage is doing after the ultra sound!

Rebekah Teller said...

I had not expected birth to be like a marathon. I expected it to be an immense spiritual and emotional experience, and it was. But for me, the biggest surprise of labor and delivery was the amount of physical stamina it took. My lips were so dry (take chapstick to the hospital!). I focused on my breathing, I did get an epidural after 18 hours (labor was 37 hours!), and during delivery I focused on counting to 8 with each push. It takes a lot of mental focus to keep going with confidence, just like a marathon. And at the end, complete elation and exhaustion.