Thursday, July 24, 2008

Toe in

Now that I'm 4 months and safely out of the first trimester, I've been able to take hold of this whole pregnancy thing a little more. I've been doing some online searches for baby items, checking out the local retailers, and hitting the consignment and second-hand stores. I haven't actually bought anything baby yet--I'm trying to be an informed and cautious shopper--but I'm definitely testing the waters. If you have kids or have looked into "the industry" it can get a bit overwhelming. I really don't want to go consumer crazy. I've decided that craigslist might be my new best friend.

As for the belly, it continues to grow. I am very grateful to have friends who delivered before me (who are more or less my size), which has cut down on my maternity buying considerably. MM asked the other day, "How much bigger is it going to get?" At first I was a little upset, then I realized he was just sincerely curious. He loves me and my belly at any size.

We had an appointment with our midwife today. I was a little nervous, just because I hadn't had a Doppler or ultrasound since the bleeding episode, but everything looked great. Heart rate in the 150's, uterus sized for my dates, weight and everything right on track. The next exciting step is our level II ultrasound which is scheduled for August 7th. After much thought and minor disagreements, we have decided to find out the gender of this little one if he/she will cooperate. We're so thrilled just to be pregnant, that we don't care what it is--as long as it's a baby. So cast your vote, and we'll let you in on the results in a few weeks!

1 comment:

Jernigan Family said...

I agree the industry is VERY overwhelming and much of it is unnecessary. My favorite book that helped tremendously with the task is Baby Bargains. They have done a lot of the work for you and narrow it down to the items you really need. I cast my vote for girl! Just a hunch I guess. I am SO thrilled for you and MM!