Saturday, August 25, 2007

Luteal Phase

I'm nearing the end of the second half of my cycle now (AKA the luteal phase). It's always a weird time for me, the time between ovulation and the start of my period...wondering if maybe this time it will work. There's nothing I can do to make it go any faster. Progression toward this goal of conception is limited by the cycles of my body--the same cycles that should theoretically make conception possible. So I wait.

At our last appointment my doctor said she thinks my luteal phase is shorter than it should be. She prescribed Prometrium (progesterone) to try and help lengthen my cycle. So now I'm confused. Usually my period starts around cycle day 26-27. If it's any later than that I can hardly keep myself from taking a pregnancy test (which I hate doing because I am inevitably disappointed). But with the added progesterone I don't know what to expect.

I am not under the impression that I am pregnant right now. I know that my chances are slim, and we are planning to do an IVF cycle in January. In the meantime I've tried to get rid of any expectation, but that's hard to do. I don't know if it's even possible. I want to be hopeful without setting myself up for major disappointment. For now though, every day without a period is a good day. I'll deal with it when it comes.

2 comments:

Drew Custer said...

Jessica,
I hope that the rest of this month passes by quickly for you and that you will have peace in the meantime (it is hard). I think at one point I was single handedly supporting the pregnancy test industry in Bolivia. Luckily over there they only cost a dollar.It is difficult not to run out and buy one the day you think it could possibly show something. I pray that this month will be the one you have been waiting for.
Jamie

*K* said...

When I was charting, it looked like my luteal phase was short too. Who knew all this stuff could be so complicated! Hang in there!