Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Alternatives


I realize most of this blog has been about the various medical treatments I am seeking to improve my odds of conception, but western medicine isn't the only or the first avenue I have pursued. In March I went for an initial evaluation with a licensed acupuncturist (no, the picture is not of me, but it's pretty representative of the treatments). He is a friend of a friend, and was great. For the next 3 months I went about every other week, weekly at first though. He also recommended some Chinese Herbs, vitamins, and a liquid called Moxa that I applied to my abdomen daily and heated with a hairdryer (funny picture right?). I’m not sure if it was the effect of the treatments or just a result of where I was in the process, but I felt better emotionally when I was doing all that then I have since. My husband thought it was all kind of silly, and would tease me about my “voodoo”. It seemed sad and desperate to him, but I think it helped provide me with a sense that I was doing something about the problem. The time I spent every day with the heat of the hairdryer mixed with the smell of the Moxa on my belly was actually a nice time to focus on my body and take care of myself.

I felt like I had to give it all up after I went for my evaluation with the Repo Endo though. I couldn't justify spending more money on treatments that have little or no proven efficacy (though I still think they’re probably helpful), when it looked like I was going to need medical treatment due to my underlying conditions. Now that I’m going to take a little break from all the medical treatments I’m thinking about going back to acupuncture on a limited basis. There’s apparently a woman who practices in a nearby town in a beautiful setting who specializes in acupuncture for women’s reproductive health concerns. If anyone has any fabulous alternative medicine stories to share I’d love to hear them.

3 comments:

Jernigan Family said...

Jess:

I was actually going to suggest this, but wasn't sure how CRAZY I would sound. I had a good friend of mine who was in a similiar situation. She had a bihornial uterus(not sure if I spelled that right), she had a proceedure to try and correct the condition which resulted in massive amounts of scar tissue that she had several other proceedures to correct. He doctor had told her the likelihood of her concieving was pretty low even with invetro. This was last October. She decided to wait until the first of the year to start her invetro and in the meantime began doing acupuncture treatments on a regular basis. I am pleased to say before I left Colorado I held her three week old beautiful baby girl. I think there is something to be said for relaxing the mind and the body. GO FOR IT GIRL!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!
Analisa

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Jess- I am so glad you started this blog- Sorry I didn't get to give you a hug and talk in person. Love Mo

*K* said...

This by FAR is not the craziest stuff I've heard that people do while trying to get pregnant. There are some weird diets and exercises that people started telling me about the longer we went without conceiving. So, I think it is TOO COOL that you are covering all the bases. I do think that our mind-body connections are pretty powerful and the relaxation and mindset of acupuncture and eastern medicine are worth trying.