Monday, August 13, 2007

Hystero


No, this isn't my actual hysterosalpingogram (HSG), but it gives you a reference point. I had been putting it off for a while, I'm not really a fan of procedures, but my doctor finally convinced me it would be good to "complete my work-up". Like I said, I had a normal HSG 4 years ago, and neither me nor my doctor expected that much would have changed, but I did it anyway--this time without the benefit of anesthesia.

It wasn't terrible, but it was by no means comfortable. My husband couldn't get out of a work commitment so I took a friend who was 9 months pregnant (was--she delivered a healthy baby girl yesterday!). Both of us work in health care and knew what the procedure was, but neither one of us thought about the fact that they weren't going to let a pregnant woman any where near radiation. When they called me in and my friend got up to go with me the woman looked at us like we were crazy and told her she couldn't come with me. I, being hormonal and nervous, started crying. This got us through the door and by the time it was over we had convinced the radiologist to let her stay until they took the X-rays. The painful part was inserting the instrument for the dye anyway, so she got to stay for that and hold my hand.

I got the results the next day and it looks like there are some adhesions on my left side that would likely prevent an egg from passing through. A little of the dye leaked out on the left, but not much. The right side looked good though, so if and when I ovulate on that side I have a much better chance than the left. Repairs are not very effective (about 20%) and IVF is (about 50%/cycle for my age), so she said most people skip the repair and move more quickly toward IVF. I was surprised, but not all that upset by the news. It felt more like, "OK, so now I have a little better idea what I'm dealing with." I'll know even more after my second follicular ultrasound tomorrow. I'm hoping for big follicles on the right side--but trying not to be too hopeful at the same time.

1 comment:

Drew Custer said...

Jessica,
I know exactly what that is like. Although, I had the pain killer. I had a tubal pregnancy in Oct. 2005. So in Jan. 06 I had this test (can't spell it or remember how to pronounce it). I lost my left tube because it ruptured with the pregnancy so I had all my hopes on the right one as well. They say fertility increases for up to three months after the test. I got pregnant three months later with Hannah with just my right tube. Who needs the left tube anyway right:)
Love,
Jamie