Thursday, May 15, 2008

Polls Closed


Today was the day. We've been preparing ourselves for the possibility of twins since we got my betas 2 weeks ago. It was a little strange to be back at the REs office, the place where my eggs were retrieved, where "conception" happened, where our embryos spent their fist days. This time I was there not as infertile, but pregnant. Kind of a trip.

Before she went looking around with the ultrasound probe, I asked her if she thought she'd see twins or a singleton. She laughed and said, "Twins--but there might be just one, I've seen about everything." Then the probe went in. First she checked my ovaries, still a little large, but overall they looked good. Then it was on to the uterus, where she found a perfect, single fetus measuring just right for my dates with cardiac movement and everything. Absolutely amazing.

It was a little bit of a let down (more for MM) that the second one didn't stick around, but overall I'm excited at the prospect of a "normal" pregnancy. I wasn't looking forward to the high risk multiples scenario, even though I know there are tons of twin gestations that go perfectly well. For me, it's one less thing to worry about. So, if you were hoping this was going to turn into one of those fabulous blogs about multiples (Suz), you're going to be a little disappointed. Sorry. I'm just excited about my low risk pregnancy. I even called a birthing center today and set up an appointment for a tour and consultation next week!

7 comments:

Leah Tomlinson said...

WOW!!! What a wonderful sight to see. The beating heart of a tiny child. What a blessing!!! Congratulations!! This is wonderful news!!!

Suzanne said...

cracking me up over here, woman! i am SOOOO frickin' happy for you guys!!! i can't imagine the sheer joy you felt as you saw that little (SINGLE!) heart beating! i truly believe that the Lord knows your deepest desires and knew how badly you wanted a normal pregnancy! you had such a stressful time getting here, now just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!!! birthing classes??! yay!!! so exciting! ;) love you!

Jernigan Family said...

I am so excited for you! There is nothing more miraculous than seeing a tiny beating heart! CONGRATULATIONS!!

emily said...

Praise God for that tiny little heart beating inside you! What a blessing!!

Erik said...

Dude, I thought for sure it would be two! Oh well, I know you are thrilled and I am thrilled for you!
Love,
S

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Yeah! Very excited about your pregnancy journey! Let me know how the birthing center is.

khovater said...

Jess, so very excited for you guys!!! Such good news!