Thursday, October 11, 2007

Watch your mouth

Today after my weekly therapy appointment (which is great by the way, really changing the way I process and perceive myself and the things around me) I went to get my hair cut. I mentioned to the stylist that I was going to visit my friend who recently gave birth to quadruplets. She didn't say anything for a second, then said something like, "She must have taken the pills, right?" Which is really none of her business, but yes in fact she did. Then she proceeded to go on a mini rant about how she thinks that reproduction really isn't something to be "messed with" and that she thinks some people can't have kids for a reason, etc., etc. I mostly tuned out, but am pretty sure she included some comment about how it's dangerous when you start playing God too.

I was shocked. It felt like the kind of completely inappropriate thing that Michael Scott would say to the woman who just got pregnant through IVF, making everyone really uncomfortable (if you don't watch The Office, you should).

Especially in this area where it seems like every other woman you talk to has had some type of fertility treatment. Who does this woman think she is? Does she live in the same world I do? Since when is it only OK for the sick and dying take advantage of every advanced medical technology available while those trying to create life are restricted and accused of "playing God"? I guess there must also be a "reason" that couples and single women much less "fit" to be parents than we are have more kids than they can take care of. I kept my mouth shut, neither agreeing or disagreeing. My therapist would probably say I should have spoken up for myself, but I didn't. Maybe I'll be more prepared next time.

4 comments:

Jena said...

Hey Jess,
What do you say we tie that nasty little hairdresser to a chair and, with sharp objects in hand, lecture to her on OUR philosophical convictions? I think it could be quite therapeutic. Let me know if you need a partner in crime!
Love you!
Jena

battynurse said...

I don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut but then I tend to be a bit catty. She really does sound like an ignorant person. If that was true then all the druggies would be the only ones who were unable to procreate.

Daisha said...

So... I'm assuming that you didn't leave her a very big tip.

And that philosophy that she was spouting has many holes in it.

D

*K* said...

i am so sorry this happened! although, i am happy to know that you watch (and love) the Office (as I do!). when you decide to make different decisions than the norm, people always have something to say about it. filtering out the ignorant people is definitely harder some days and easier others. i, also, am a believer in therapy--and, you might really find it liberating to let loose and give people like this stylist a little piece of your mind :)