Monday, January 5, 2009

Due Date and Breastfeeding Boot Camp

Today is my due date--a date I've been repeating for the past 9 months. It's strange that it's here and I'm holding my one week old son. I'm so glad he decided to come when he did. I think 6 lb 12 oz was about all I could handle. The tax break is also a nice bonus.

I have been in breastfeeding boot camp for the past week, hence the lack of posting. I have had great support throughout the process, from the lactation consultant, MM, my parents, and my midwife. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. It took several days for my milk to come in, and even then, he had trouble getting a good latch. I saw the lactation consultant last Tuesday. She recommended a nipple shield, which has made breastfeeding much easier. Unfortunately the nipple shield can make transferring milk a little more difficult for the baby, so in addition to about 40 minutes of breastfeeding every 2-3 hours, I also have to pump 15 minutes and supplement with the expressed breast milk. So that's pretty much been life for the past week. I breastfeed, MM changes Jonas and gives the supplemental milk while I pump. Between feedings I try to get a shower in, feed myself, and nap. We also spend a lot of time just staring at Jonas. It's truly amazing to see him here after so much anticipation.

It's been so fun to share the excitement of our son's arrival with our friends and family. The support from our community has been great. It's really beautiful to experience the love people share during these important transitions in life. My parents arrived on Thursday and left early this morning. The timing was perfect. It gave us a few days to get settled and be alone with Jonas and they were here to help when we really needed it.

I had a little melt down on Friday. Up until then I had been feeling pretty good (other than a painful perineum). The midwife came over to weigh Jonas and check-in on the breast-feeding. He was looking a little jaundice, had lost weight, and only took 1/2 an ounce in a 40 minute feed (we checked his pre and post feeding weight). I felt horrible about not being able to feed my baby and was so tired I was getting irrational. By the next day though I was feeling better and have made peace with the pump. I still don't like it but I'll pretty much do anything for this little guy.

In other exciting news, I shaved my legs for the first time in months! I almost forgot it was possible. As much as I loved being pregnant, it's nice to have him on the outside now and get my body back.

4 comments:

Daisha said...

Gideon had a hard time breast-feeding too. We had to get him weighed every few days to make sure he was getting enough to eat.

It is exhausting. I'm impressed that you only broke down once.

I can't wait to see more pictures of Jonas. (and what is his middle name?)

-Daisha

Nate, Maurine, Hannah, and Monroe said...

Hang in there girl! Those first few weeks are crazy- it feels like there is a baby on your boob all the time! I had to feed both babied every 1-1.5 hours for the first 2-3 months. I think it was comfort and hunger combo. Both my little ones were jaundiced too, so a little ambient sun light seemed to do the trick. Love you!

Jamie said...

Breastfeeding is so hard in the beginning! I had a pretty difficult start with Hannah. I used the nipple shield too and had to do a lot of pumping. It isn't easy but like you said you will do anything for them. And once everything starts working out breastfeeding becomes so easy and I can't imgaine doing it any other way. I'm proud of you for hanging in there. It will get easier. And I want to second the request for more pictures of Jonas.

Anonymous said...

fertileornot.blogspot.com is very pleasant to read. The article is very professionally written. I enjoyed reading fertileornot.blogspot.com. keep it that way.