Monday, December 17, 2007

Disney Dreams


I recently returned from a conference in Orlando. I decided it would be just wrong to go there for any length of time and not go to Disney World, so I did. I was 10 or 12 and accompanied by my parents and younger brother the last time I went to the Magic Kingdom. Needless to say, things have changed a bit since then--for me more so than the Magic Kingdom I discovered.

"When you wish upon a star...anything your heart desires will come to you," just didn't have the same ring it did back then. I spent some time trying to come up with new lyrics to the Disney tune that are more reflective of life's complexity. You know, something like, "Please don't wish upon a star, it won't get you very far, sometimes you'll get what you want, or you may not."

Granted, it's not very catchy, but it's more honest. Maybe the whole Disney thing is a necessary stage of development, I don't know. When are kids able to understand and accept the somewhat ordered chaos that is life without fearing that they'll be overcome?

It feels like a lot of adults want to escape to the land of Disney too--to go to a place where everything is magical and your wishes come true. Not that I've stopped wishing or hoping, but I'm putting some action with my hopes.

2 comments:

*K* said...

Amen to your thoughts about Disney.

Have you read this?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/health/nutrition/18well.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1198000867-JaQGII921z6ufNhme2sO3g

It was an article in the Times this past week about Fertility Diets. (I haven't actually read it yet, so if it stinks, sorry!!)

Drew Custer said...

I am right there with you on your thoughts about putting some action behind your wishes. I believe in that too.
Jamie